Friday, May 27, 2011

X Winery Red X, Rhone blend with a kicker


Sitting at the wine bar today eating lunch with a friend I had one of those moments that beg for a specific wine. The trouble with working in the wine business is that more often than not, when you crave a particular bottle you have access to it. So I fall into the pitfall of yet another lunch over a bottle of wine. Don’t concern yourself over me, I’ll make up for it by writing this article and justifying the experience as a “working” lunch.

So what wine has me so worked up on a Friday afternoon? X Winery’s Red X Winemaker’s Blend. This wine is a twist on the typical SMG blend. They add a touch of zinfandel to spice it up. I agree with Rober Parker, who wrote in The Wine Advocate “The most obvious question with respect to X Winery and proprietor Reed Renaudin is how can these wines be this good at these prices? Everyone is looking for good values today, and here are some exceptional bargains.”

Red X is a blend of 52% Syrah, 19% Mourvedre, 17% Zinfandel, and 12% Grenache. Dark ruby in color with a nose full of wild cherry, cinnamon toast, cashew cranberry and a hint of blueberry. The tannins are soft and supple with good astringency. This bottle is perfect with barbeque, pizza and burgers. I have to admit it held up to dark chocolate pretty well, not that I’m having an overly indulgent afternoon but I may also test it against a cigar.


I guess my weekend grilling plans are no secret after this. Let me know what bottle you plan on opening up this weekend, or stop by and pick up a bottle of Red X. 14.99 carry out, 5.99 per glass at the bar, or 20.99 by the bottle in the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment